Monday, May 18, 2015

8-week Weights

The grow-outs had a great last two weeks scampering around the pen, but alas their day finally came.


Mark had a very rare Sunday off, so he was finally able to process the 8 fryers. I would have gladly helped, but I was keeping the boy occupied elsewhere. We tried both processing one day while Ian played outside with us, but it just didn't work. Somehow toddlers and animal processing don't go well together (maybe it's all the sharp knives sitting around).

Here are the live weights for the 8 bucklings:

Acer's (NZ/Creme):
  • 3 lbs, 4 oz
  • 3 lbs, 5 oz
  • 3 lbs, 5 oz
  • 3 lbs, 1 oz
Cardamom's (NZ):
  • 3 lbs, 5 oz
  • 3 lbs, 2 oz
  • 3 lbs, 1 oz
  • 3 lbs, 1 oz
I was actually a little surprised at their weights. While the differences aren't terribly significant, the crosses averaged a little heftier. The full New Zealands looked and felt heavier to me, but most of them actually weighed a little less.

I would be interested to compare them to the rest of the grow-outs that are in the cages. I need to sort through my does and pick a couple to grow out more, as possible replacements.

Babette's litter looks great!

They will be 3 weeks old on the 20th, and are adorable bouncing balls of fluff. In another week I will attempt sexing them for the first time. Fingers crossed for lots of does!

Here they are enjoying their morning salad...


**UPDATE**

I had an opportunity to run out and weigh the rest of the buns while Ian napped:

Acer's does:

  • 3 lbs, 10 oz
  • 3 lbs, 10 oz
  • 3 lbs, 9 oz
  • 4 lbs, 2 oz (whoa!)
  • 3 lbs, 15 oz
  • 3 lbs, 10 oz
  • 3 lbs, 2 oz
Cardamom's:
  • Broken red buck ("Freckles"): 4 lbs, 2 oz
  • Broken red buck ("Big Boy"): 4 lbs, 4 oz
  • Broken red doe ("Little T"): 4 lbs, 4 oz
 I have to say, there is a significant  weight difference in the two groups. The guys from the grow-out pen were outweighed by as much as a pound. I'm guessing all that running around and a diet higher in greens made the difference.

Unfortunately, I think the largest doe from Acer's litter is a BUCK.

After getting a good look at it today, I'm thinking a buck with at least a partially split penis. This is the one that's been throwing me off all along.

In the interest of science...


For the record, it's really difficult to sex  a rabbit AND take a picture with two hands.

Whatever it is, it's definitely abnormal, so it will be added to the cull list.

Now I just have to sort through the does. I went ahead and moved the two smallest ones to the grow-out pen, so that leaves me with 5 to choose from.

I'm going to have to really look them over to narrow down my choices. They all look really good though, just from a quick once over. Some of them are starting to get silvering on their coats.


I was in too much of a hurry to bother with posing, so I will just have to save that for another day. I really need to thin the ranks, though, because there appears to be some fighting going on, judging by nicks and scratches on a few of the rabbits.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, good weights and lovely rabbits! It sounds like your rabbitry is really taking off for the homestead, yeah! I wish I could help you with the possible split P issue, but I've actually never seen one in person. For the record, put your safe search on before searching on google for rabbit split penis. Something horrible happened to someone and it came up on the first page. Now I can never unsee it! :O

    ReplyDelete